#TravelAdvisors #TravelProfessionals #SafeTravel #TravelPlanner #TravelAgentBenefits
Planning your dream vacation sounds easy, but using a travel agent is even easier. It’s time to call in the experts – today’s modern travel advisor (nee agent).
Forget the stereotypes that travel agents are expensive, no one uses them and they don’t exist anymore and focus on why trusting today’s modern travel advisor is much easier than a DIY vacation. Here are five travel agent stereotypes debunked.
1. Using a travel agent means doing everything the old school way. Fact – The travel industry, which includes travel advisors, embraces new technology and functionalities as much as any other industry. And, because the industry depends on the health of the world to be successful, having an eco-friendly mindset is more important than ever, so paper itineraries and tickets aren’t as common anymore, as travel advisors and planners use email, texts and even Facebook Messenger when communicating with their clients. You may not even have to meet your travel planner in person – you can plan a whole itinerary via digital communication!
2. Booking with a travel planner is expensive and time-consuming. Fact – Does researching your entire trip then booking your own flight, hotel room, transportation, entertainment, dining and excursions really sound all that easy? And what if a flight gets delayed, more people join your group or there were hidden fees on that sweet deal you found? Sure, travel advisors make commission, but that is paid by the supplier they’re booking with – not you. And if you’re already purchasing it on your own, wouldn’t it make sense to work with a professional who can enhance your trip by a few clicks, adding options using their expertise, or contacting to the right person?
Travel advisors spend time learning your travel preferences, researching destinations and airlines, fact checking and curating personalized itineraries for you. Ultimately, working with a travel pro will save you an incredible amount of time, and what is more valuable than your own time?
3. Talking to a travel planner is similar to speaking with salesmen or saleswomen. Fact – Many travel agents have previous experience in other fields before they became travel professionals, so they get it. Their backgrounds can be as diverse as working as trusted police officers, teachers and journalists to later discover their passion and purpose in the world of travel and hospitality. Travel agents are genuinely excited to work with you because of the real conversations that lead to uncovering your vacation styles, hopes and dreams to achieve the ultimate vacation, again and again. Their goal isn’t to end their relationship with you after selling you an epic adventure, but rather be your go-to guide, for every vacation you take moving forward.
4. Traveling with large groups or extended trips is the only time using a travel agent is worth it. Fact – Sure, working with a travel agent to successfully book the honeymoon of your dreams or a multi-generation trip is satisfying. But the same satisfaction can – should – be felt by using one for even the simplest of vacations. What if you booked a trip to Europe in August to find out most tourist hot-spots and local businesses are closed for holiday? Travel agents can tell you which seasons are best and worst in low-key places as well as arrange your transportation in destination, find hidden fees and cancellation policies, tell you what type of crowd is joining your two week cruise and so much more.
5. Travel agents are becoming extinct since everything is user-friendly and easy to DIY.
Fact – The travel industry is booming and it’s because everything is user-friendly and DIY. Travel agents typically take familiarization trips (FAM trips) to new or renovated hotels and resorts so they know what their clients can expect when visiting a new place. This gives them special access that you as a traveler don’t get, or necessarily need. This insider scoop gives agents deep knowledge and expertise to use when working with clients.
A good travel advisor stays on top of updates and events in the industry to give you the real scoop on an issue. Remember the Hawaii volcano eruptions everyone was freaking out about in May 2018? Well…they were happening in a very small area on the east side of Hawaii Island, and it was totally fine to travel to Hawaii. Major news outlets didn’t tell you that, but your travel planner could have. Or after the September 2019 hurricane Dorian which severely damaged a specific area of the Bahamas (two main islands of Grand Bahama Island and Abaco due east of Miami), but the private cruise line islands, Bimini, Nassau and Paradise Island, and most of the 700 islands to the south of Grand Bahama and the Abacos, like San Salvador experienced little or no damage; therefore, most areas were unaffected and are open for business.
Knowing the ins-and-outs of a situation that could potentially affect travel is what you go to your travel agent for. They are plugged into that information, whether that’s negative destination headlines or advisories, a changing TSA regulation or travel regulations and policies per country. You can’t always find that info on your own.
Getaway Dreams Come True Travel is happy to assist by providing current information on worldwide locales. It is our responsibility to promote safe travel in every way. Contact us at 724.752.2655 to arrange your planning session. Let’s Talk!
You may wish to view other posted blogs as follows –
Do You Have Proper ID for Domestic Flights in 2020?
Did I Die and Someone Forget to Tell Me?
Should You Pass on the Travel Insurance?
Are You Aware of Scams that May Impact Your Travel?
Pingback: Are You a Candidate for Adventure Travel? | Getaway Dreams Come True Travel Agency·